Essay writing help: narration tips
Narration for an essay can be tricky for some students but it depends on how you view the assignment. Many students look at it as a way of telling a story to the reader while expressing personal thoughts and creativity. The idea here is to try and be compelling and moving with your content to draw readers in and keep them interested. There are a few points to consider when writing narrative essays that can help you present your content with more clarity.
- When writing your essay be sure not to present your content as a book report. You would need to distinguish differences as a book report may have you presenting informative details about a story versus providing all parts of a story including setting, introduction, characters, plot and other details from a personal perspective.
- Think about the purpose of your essay and make it your main idea or thesis. You can think about this from another angle: why are you narrating to begin with?
- A clear point of view is often described of which it is of the author, but this can change depending on how you express your purpose or main idea.
- Try to evoke senses and emotions when you write your essay. To do so you would need to pay more attention to language and how your content is worded. At the same time, try to be concise and clear to ensure readers can follow through.
- You can be personal while writing and mention “I” but try not to overuse the pronoun as it can lessen the narrative effect you want to achieve.
- Take your time thinking about your thoughts and organize them before you start writing. You may need to write a rough draft or two before you complete the final draft. You may review your content and want to reword or reshuffle your thoughts to ensure they make logic sense.
- Your introduction should be strong but remember it helps set the tone for the rest of the paper. Be comfortable with the information you present throughout the essay as you want to guide readers toward the direction to help them understand your thoughts and feelings the same way as you see them.
- You can be creative with your content. You can review samples to get an idea on how to be compelling and original with your ideas. This can also help you get an idea on how to structure your ideas into a solid essay.